Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Update on Scotty

This is a picture of what an heart arhythmia looks like on an EKG

I know it's been a long time since I have posted on my blog, so I thought I would take a few minutes and just give a condensed update Scott and his heart condition.

A lot has happened with Scott's health since my last post. On Sept 10 we had to be at the hospital at 7:00am. We checked into the Cath Lab where they did the cardioversion. (This is where they put Scott out then Schock his heart and try to get it back into normal rhythm). After it was over the Dr. came out and got me in the waiting room, he told me they tried it 2 times and it didn't work. He really thinks Scott has had this problem for some time. The longer you are in Arythmia the harder it is to get you out of it. So he wanted us to schedule an appointment with an Electrophysiologist in Phoenix by the name of Dr. Tom Ross. He thought that he would probably do some studies on his heart then do a procedure called ablation, (not going to try to explain this one). I was really upset, and when I went in to be with Scott during his recovery, the first thing he said to me when he began to wake up was, "Natalie, it didn't work." He was very discouraged, and frustrated. Scott just took it easy the rest of the day, the next day his chest and ribs were pretty sore. During the procedure he must have bit down really hard, because he had a huge chunck taken out of his tongue. I think that hurt more than anything.

We ended up seeing the Dr in Phx the following Fri. This Dr asked us about Scott having Sleep Apnea, I have been telling Scott that he has had this for several years. He told us, which no one else had even asked us about it, that sleep apnea can cause arythmia and does a lot of damage to your heart. He wanted us to schedule a sleep study with a company in Phx. He increased his medication for the Arythmia, then said he would probably try to Cardiovert him again after we got the sleep apnea under control, probably in a few months. He also gave Scott the okay to get back to his normal activites, going to the gym, and working again. This made us both feel so much better. We know it is a huge blessing from our Father in Heaven, we walked out of Dr Ross' office, Scott turned to me and said all of the prayers in my behalf are working. We are waiting now for the Sleep Drs to call us to schedule the studies. We will keep everyone posted on that.

And thank you everyone for your love, concern, and prayers. It has helped tremendously to know we are thought of. We truly recognize the Lord's hand in our lives at this time, and know through faith and prayers things will work out and get better!

3 comments:

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Oh I'm SO GLAD that Dr. seems to have an idea on how to fix it. That is just so scary. I know you guys have a lot of people pulling & praying for you (including us), so hopefully it will all be taken care of soon!

Also--Congrats on having Cole home. I bet you are just so excited and proud of him! =)

The Sorensen Bunch said...

I am glad you found out and know what to look for and that it will not require BIG things--I LOVED the pictures Jen has up and the discription of you at the airport. I can't even imagine!!!

Kathy's Boys said...

Sounds like you got some good news and got your son home too! I've been thinking about you and know how great it is to have your son RWH!! Love ya!