Sunday, August 31, 2008

Long 2 Weeks

I don't have too many pics of Scott, he hates me to take pics of him, He will love this one!

I like this one, Don't you love the beard, it's getting really gray!!

So I guess I need to start at the beginning. Scott and I have been doing this "Body For Life" diet and workout program since the beginning of May. Scott had been pretty discouraged up until this point trying to do everything to try and lose some weight. Well I watched Chris and Tandy do this program, saw the great results that they got and decided I wanted to do it myself. Scott caught the bug about a week after I did, and we decided to do this together. Anyway, we have been doing it faithfully since then. Going to the gym 6 days a week, and eating very healthy, and working hard. On monday the 18th of Aug. Scott and I were at the gym doing our workout, Scott didn't feel well that morning, but thought it was just the monday hate to go back to work blues. He was finishing his workout when he called me over to him and said he felt like he was going to pass out. He looked really bad, all flushed, and pale. I sat with him for a few minutes, he told me to go finish my workout and he would stay there and try to get his wits about him until I finished. Pretty soon I looked over at him and he was sitting up on a machine and leaning against a wall, so I continued doing what I was doing. I heard a loud crash and looked over,he had passed out and fallen in between 2 machines, a man (Brian) rushed over to help him as I was running over to him. He could never feel good enough to stand on his own, so the gym owners called the ambulance. When the EMT's got there Scott was so embarassed because most of them were guys he was friends with. Anyway they got him to the hospital. When he got into the emergency room, his blood pressure was really low. They did and EKG on his heart, the ER Dr came in and told us that he was in Atrial Fibriallation, which means the top part of his heart isn't really beating, he said it is just like a bag of worms, just moving around. He wasn't sure how long this had been going on, but that he was calling a Cardiologist in. About 2 hours later the Cardiologist came in and talked to us. He told us Scott wouldn't be going home. He wanted to run a bunch of tests to figure out the cause for his irregular heart rhythm. A man Scott's age should not be having this problem unless there is some blockage of arteries, diabetes, thyroid problems or some other health issues. Scott has never had any health problems, he has been very healthy, so this was very strange to both of us. He was admitted to the hospital and they started running blood test, did an ultrasound of his heart, and scheduled a stress test and a electrocardiogram. The next morning the Dr came in to Scott and told him that the Ultrasound showed that Scott's heart was enlarged, but his other blood work and tests had all come back normal with no reason for this. He was concerned so decided to cancel the other testings and do an angiogram instead, (where they put a tube up into his artery from the groin area, put dye into the arteries and check them all to see if there is any blockage) This made us a little nervous, because the Dr seemed more concerned than the day before. They did the procedure that day, and the Dr came out into the waiting room afterward and told me they found no blockage which was great. On the other hand, he was concerned because they have found no reason for Scott to have this problem. He wanted him to stay in the hospital one more day and moniter his heart rate and blood pressure. They would let him go home the next day on a blood thinner, a low blood pressure med, and a medication that will sometimes help to get your heart back into it's normal rhythm. We were to see him the following week, after 2 more blood tests to check his coumidin levels (blood thinner) They have to keep his blood really thin, when your heart is in A-Fib (short term for his problem) it causes the blood to clot, so when it does get in a regular beat every so often, it can push these clots into the brain, and cause immediate death or a stroke. (very scary for all of us) And Scott was to do nothing that would cause his increase his heart rate. No strenuouse activities until they figure this all out. Scott has been pretty discouraged and both of us really frustrated. We have been finally eating good and working out trying to change our habits and this happens. The first few days home, I was really worried about Scott. He was very depressed and just felt horrible. Well we saw the Dr this past week, he thought at first Scott's heart had switched back to it's normal rhythm, but after an EKG he hadn't changed at all. So the plan now is on the 10th, the Dr is going to Cardiovert him. This is where they stop his heart, then do those Shock things on his chest and schock it back into a normal rhythm. The Dr hopes this will help it to stay in normal rhythm, but no guarantees. If that doesn't work, we will be heading to PHX to the Arizona Heart Institute for more studies. We are just hopeing and praying this will work. Scott is so anxious to get back to normal life, and working out again. I feel so bad for him, and worry about him. We are all hanging in there. We are so very grateful to everyone who has called, text, and ask about him. It has made us feel very loved. It is unbelievalble the support we have felt from all of our friends and loved ones. Even members of the community and the customers that we have in our business, have poured out their love and concern for us. It has made us feel very loved. Thanks everyone!!

One of the things that has helped to keep our mind off of this, is getting ready for our missionary to come home. Yeah!!! Only 18 mores days and counting. I can hardly wait!! We will be having lots of family here on the weekend he returns, he is reporting in sacrament meeting that following sunday, so we are looking forward to that week.

I did have a good day yesterday, I was able to attend the temple for our stake temple day. It seemed so good to be there. Afterwards, Jentry hooked me up with some new pants. ( one of her jobs is working for "Buckle" in the Superstition Mall) Since I have been working out, my pants don't fit anymore, so she was able to help me find some cute ones. While I was there, some of her cousins and friends came in to get her to hang out with them after work. She was supposed to come home after work that night, but she decided it would be more fun to hang out with all of them for the weekend, instead of with her boring family in boring Cottonwood. I was glad she will be with them and having fun! She will be coming home next weekend for Chaz's baptism. We will have lots of company then too, which will be fun! The next few weeks will be filled with lots of friends and family, I love that!! This will help us to keep our mind on good things instead of the unknown! Wish us luck and please keep Scott in your prayers! Thanks!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

We have Scott in our prayers!! I know these things are scary but I have seen many patients with this that have been "shocked" back and it works great. Wow I can't believe Cole will be home already!

Josh and Amber Wilkins said...

Hey Aunt Nat, Scott will be in our prayers, it stinks that you have to wait so long! Good luck with everything! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you get ready for Cole to come home. If stuff needs to be picked up here or whatever or if your little ones need to come and stay while you get stuff done! Talk to ya soon!

TexasTwinsTwice said...

Oh that is sooo scary! We will definitely keep him in our prayers. I didn't realize you were there with him when it happened, I bet you were panicking at least I would've been!). Hopefully the doctors can figure it out so they can fix it! How exciting that Cole is going to be home so soon--how wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

Uncle Scott you're in my prayers! Love you, hang in there all of you!
Can't wait to see you when Cole comes home!Yay!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

You are taking it on like a champ Nat!!! (you are allowed to cry in front of me you know!!!) I forgot to tell you that I put Scotts name in at the temple. I am grateful that I can help in ANY way (answering phones)---because you are so self reliant!!! Hang in there--we LOVE YOU!